You Quacked at the Principal?!

We take a break from our (not so) regularly scheduled vacation recaps to bring you coverage of the Windy City Rubber Ducky Derby!

About 30,000 rubber ducks were dumped (literally) into the Chicago River as a fundraiser to benefit Special Olympics.






A and I "adopted" two ducks.  As we have not been contacted, I'm assuming we didn't win any of the grand prizes.  (Not too surprising given that some ducks cheated.)



The staff herded the ducks between two floating bumpers to try to maintain some sort of order, and also to make it obvious which duck was the winner.





The boat at the finish line had a basket which forced the ducks to go single-file, thereby determining the true winning order.



Now, when I said some ducks were cheating, I meant that they were getting a bit of a boost from the local firemen in an attempt to hurry them along the race route.





The ducks had quite the view.






Eventually, with the current of the river and the firemen's hose helping push him along, one lucky duck crossed the finish basket line.



Once the five winning ducks were determined, it was time to turn the Chicago River back over to the tour and taxi boats.  A special vehicle was commissioned to pick up the tired ducks.



The ducks that somehow managed to escape being unceremoniously dumped on their heads were eventually caught in the nets of the clean-up crew.



I wonder if any ducks managed to float to freedom?  Guess we'll never know.



P.S. The Ducky Derby has nothing to do with The Mighty Ducks, that quote just popped into my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment