A Redhead in Chicago

Since we live in one of the hottest tourist towns, naturally our family wants to come visit!  (And crash on our futon.)  We'd been here almost a year when my mom finally made her way to the Midwest for her first-ever trip to Chicago.  First stop: Enjoying the nice August weather (yes, nice!) in Grant Park.

Buckingham Fountain:


The Bean!





If you know my mom, you've heard her say, "Cheezborger, cheezborger" at least once.  :)  So I had to take her by the original Billy Goat Tavern (even if she wouldn't eat anything there).



My mom was up for doing the one tourist attraction A and I hadn't done yet and really wanted to - a river architecture tour!  We did one through the Chicago Architecture Foundation.  They're the best since they have actual docents who are obsessed with really into architecture.


The locks between the river and Lake Michigan:



That night we went out for a Chicago staple - deep dish pizza.  (Which A and I believe doesn't actual qualify as pizza, but that's another story.)  We tried out Pizano's.



The next morning my mom and I gave A some study time and headed to Lou Mitchell's for brunch.  Donut holes for all and Milk Duds for the ladies!


Once again, I forgot that at Lou Mitchell's "two eggs" = six (or more!)


We love the diner atmosphere - sitting next to people you don't know!  :)


After we stuffed ourselves, we stopped in Union Station to see the staircase made famous in The Untouchables.


Then we headed to our next stop: Sears Willis Sears Tower.  (I refuse to call it anything else!)  We I had one goal in mind: the Ledge.  (Can you see the four boxes up there?)


The Ledge is four glass boxes extending out from the 103rd floor.  You can see straight down to Wacker Drive!


What a view!


My mom was nervous, but look how brave she was!


The Ledge boxes are retractable.  I'm not entirely sure why.  (In case the Joker attacks Sears Tower?)


To celebrate her birthday, A and I treated my mom to dinner and then a show at Second City.



It was a fun visit, but there are still more things to do, so she'll have to come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment