On Sale Today! Come On Down!

After living in our apartment for an entire, we just realized there is a street market a few blocks away, and takes place every Sunday each weekend during summer.  (How did we miss it last year?!)  The Maxwell Street Market is no longer on Maxwell Street (not sure why), but it was definitely worth checking out.

On the way there, we found a random set of footprints.  They definitely weren't there the last time we walked on this road.


First order of business: Deciding on which tent would be best for lunch.


There were numerous tents all serving a variation of the same food - tacos, burritos, etc.  As authentic as it gets in Chicago!  We got a pork taco, mole taco and sausage tostada.  All delicious!


They made all their tortillas fresh... so yummy!


Orion hung out in the shade under the table.


This market takes up two full city blocks (and branches out into a few side streets).  If you need something, they have it.  Let's take a tour.


Dried peppers?  


A closer look... 


Cheap sunglasses?  (I bought 3 for $5.)


Want to repaint your living room?  No problem!


Still playing on a Super Nintendo or N64 and need new games?  (Unfortunately, they didn't have Super Mario Kart.  Still on the lookout for that one...)


Recently break your handsaw?  Need a Phillips head screwdriver?


Holes in your socks?


Jeans on your list?  Or some new sneaks?


How about a crate of fruit?  Only $5.00! We contemplated getting some oranges, but didn't think we could eat them all in one week!


Fallen-off-the-truck purse?


After perusing numerous stalls and taking in all the sights, we had some ice cream-ish concoction as a snack.  A had coconut, I had strawberry.


After the market, we stopped by the Printers Row Lit Fest to see what the buzz was about.  It turned out to be a black hole for me... books everywhere!  I could have spent days looking through all the books.  A stuck around long enough to watch a cooking demonstration.


Then he and Orion headed home and I spent the rest of the afternoon browsing.



I ended up with a copy of Ender's Game, one of my favorite books that I didn't own (but do now!), the latest by Ann Brashares (not very good), and a bunch of vintage postcards to use in my scrapbooks.

While I was there, A sent me a mysterious text.  It said: "Take a picture of state and polk look up pacman".  I had no idea what that meant, but I made my way to the intersection of State St. and Polk to find...


Look a little closer...


It's Pacman!  We're pretty sure the building is a dorm for one of the local colleges. What a cool idea!



2 comments:

  1. The Pacman building is just awesome! Why didn't we think of that in Hume?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know... but we should have! :)

    ReplyDelete