From the Saute Pan: Pumpkin Sausage Pasta

Since A and I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes together, I'm adding a new category of posts: From the Saute Pan.  (This title was much-debated on between myself and A.  I pointed out that I also bake, so some things come from the oven, but A decided our readers would be smart enough to figure that out and still enjoy our creative title.)

This first recipe was made for Thanksgiving dinner.  A and I were on our own for the holiday, and as neither of us are particularly enthralled with Turkey Day food, we decided to go with this.

Dish: Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
Eaten With: Salad, French bread
Main Ingredients: Sausage (we used bratwurst), onion, canned pumpkin, chicken broth, cooking wine, pasta (we used penne)

How to Make It:
1. Cut up the sausage.




2. Brown sausage and remove from pot.


3. Dice an onion.  (We used yellow.)


4. Brown onion with garlic in oil.  Add a bay leaf, sage, and 1 cup of cooking wine to the pot.  Reduce wine by half.

5. Start cooking pasta in a separate pot.

6. Add 1 cup of chicken stock/broth and 1 can of pumpkin to the cooking wine mixture.  Stir until sauce bubbles.


7. Return sausage to the pan, reduce heat, and stir in 1/2 cup of cream.  (We used about 1/4 cup of heavy cream, only because we already had some on-hand.  It really didn't need it, though.)

8. Season with cinnamon and nutmeg, then simmer for 10 minutes.




9. Strain cooked pasta, then add into sauce.  Toss to coat.

That's it!  Pretty simple, two-pan recipe.  And it tasted yummy, too.  Good fall dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment