There's another Thanksgiving Day parade in...
Chicago!
I know what you're thinking - seriously? Who knew? (Not us, clearly.) I had plans to take Orion and go watch it, since the step-off was only five blocks from our apartment. However, the weather decided to change my mind. Cold (30-something feeling like 20-something), and so foggy you couldn't see the buildings a couple blocks away. We were resigned to watching it on television, when A looked out the window and saw the float staging area was only about three blocks down. We decided to go check them out.
Much to our surprise, pedestrians were allowed to walk right next to the parking lot staging area. We could have even walked in if we had wanted. The balloons were all untied and ready for the parade!
They were literally next to the El tracks.
Since we were able to stand on the curb, we decided to stick around and see the beginning of the parade. First up: Darth Vader and his entourage.
I love how Darth Vader was leading the group, along with the Stormtroopers. Not Luke, Yoda, or any Jedi Knights. The baddies are higher up in the popularity contest.
Even Stormtroopers need photos!
The best part was the Chicago Police Department badges they were wearing. Can you imagine how
You: I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean -
Darth Vader: Silence, imbecile. You will give me your license and insurance papers.
You: But aren't you -
Darth Vader: Enough! (Uses the Force to choke you.)
Next up: The reason people think Chicago is full of corn-fed boys.
There were so many high school bands. All of them vying to be chosen for the Rose Bowl parade.
One of the first things A and I noticed was that the balloons aren't nearly as big as the ones in that other parade. *cough* Macy's *cough* Then we saw why:
Maneuvering through street lights takes some extra effort from the handlers.
I believe this was the Guatemalan group.
The Arabian horses (in authentic costumes) was the last part we saw before we cut out. (Orion doesn't really like crowds and loud noises.)
Hopefully we're in town next year so we can watch the rest!













No comments:
Post a Comment